Thursday, November 1, 2012

#4 Lists

It’s that time of year when I start to think about the books I’ve read over the course of the year and which ones I liked best. I am a natural list maker, and so lists of books . . .well, what could be more fun and interesting? I have kept a list of every book I’ve read for about 30 years now (since about my junior year of college). Over the years it has changed from a pen and paper list to a digital document, and since then has resided on various computers in various formats (I started with a Word doc but recently switched to a spreadsheet). Over all these years, I’ve only lost about half a year’s worth. If you’re into the bottom line, on average I read about 60 books a year (my partner reads about 100 books a year, and you can imagine how competitive that makes me feel, but I’m just not a particularly fast reader), and I do include audio books (unabridged ones, naturally).

But the list I want to talk about here—a list of the best books I’ve read in a particular year—began when I started working at the bookstore. It’s a particular help during the holiday rush when people ask me what book I’ve particularly loved. Being middle aged and not having always taken care of all my brain cells, I am perfectly capable of drawing a total blank when asked what book I’m reading NOW let alone what I read last spring, so Lynn’s Top 10 of the Year list was born. 

Also, list making is fun, which is another reason why I don’t wait until Dec 31st for this. I actually began pondering this a few weeks ago and will probably ponder a good bit more before my 2012 reading is done. At the moment, my 2012 candidates are:

Midsummer Night at the Workhouse by Diana Athill
Carry the One by Carol Anshaw
The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright
The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje
When I Was a Child I Read Books by Marilynne Robinson
When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer
The Believers by Zoe Heller
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey
Toby’s Room by Pat Barker

These are listed in the order I read them. I haven’t even begun to think about the rankings yet. (OK, maybe a little.) And considering that I work at a feminist bookstore, my rate of 10 female to 3 male authors feels about right to me. Also, you may know that several of these books were published before 2012; it’s just that I only got around to reading them in 2012—although, I will admit I did better this year than I usually do re: reading things promptly.

One thing you may notice right away is that there are more than ten, and there are still two months of reading time left. In the end, this list may or may not actually be 10 books long. Sometimes it’s 10, but sometimes it’s 11 or 12. Just because I like lists doesn’t mean I’m rigid about them!

Do you make lists of books you’ve read, too? What are the best books you've read this year? Do any of mine make your list? 

(And, yes, I’ll be sure to post the final list!)

Lynn
Women & Children First
Chicago

1 comment:

  1. Oh, do I ever make lists of books! I always feel a bit strange making lists of my top 10 books "of the year" because I read so many classics and books from past years and tend not to read new books right away (I have to sort through the bestseller backlash, my personal contempt for the overhyped books that everyone breathlessly tells me I must read...) But I definitely make lists of books to read and books read, and I also have my ongoing lifetime top ten. Whenever a new book cracks the top 10 it's a monumental occurrence.

    ReplyDelete